Born in 1920 in the village of Nikolo-Pogost, Nizhny Novgorod Province, spent his childhood in Gorodets on the Volga. They gave a name in honor of the father’s deceased brother.
In the fall of 1935, Eugene entered the Gorky Art College, in which Anatoly Vasilyevich Samsonov was his teacher.
In 1941 he went to the front.
In 1953, after graduation, on the recommendation of his teacher S.V. Gerasimov and with the support of V.N. Baksheev, Rastorguev was immediately admitted to the Union of Artists of the USSR, bypassing the candidate's experience. In the same year, his work “Port Vladimir” and “Student” are exhibited at the All-Union Exhibition in the halls of the Tretyakov Gallery. Soon he becomes a member of the Board of the Union of Artists.
In 1957, the artist paints a picture of "Youth", the success of which contributed to the acquisition of its Tretyakov Gallery. Since 1960, he began close cooperation with the magazine "Youth", where he works as an illustrator. As a journalist, he travels a lot around the country - the Urals, the Bratsk Hydroelectric Power Station, the Far East, and Nakhodka. In the mid-1960s, he wrote a series of works devoted to construction projects in the Far East - the series "Brotherly Notebook", "Poems" (1964-1965), "Long Flight", dedicated to the everyday life of the drivers of Bratsk. In 1966, he again traveled to the North with Tamara Guseva. They visit Sumy Island, Sumy Posad, Yukovo. Together with them, the artist Pavel Sudakov takes part in the trip. Based on the materials of the trips, Rastorguev writes the paintings “We are in the North”, “Aunt Tanya”, “Fisherman of Sumy Posad”, “Seryozha with whitefish”, and other works of the White Sea cycle.
Returning to Moscow, Rastorguev begins to engage in book graphics - the artist has designed more than 100 books in the publishing houses Detgiz, Young Guard, and Soviet Writer. He exhibited a lot at Moscow, Russian, All-Union and international exhibitions. Becomes a member of the famous "Group 16".
Since the late 1960s, the artist’s style has changed dramatically, he begins to get involved in ceramics. Since the mid-80s Every summer Rastorguev spends in Gorodets, where he and his wife bought a house, and writes a series of works devoted to the city of childhood. From this moment he becomes known as the "artist from Gorodets" with a pronounced own style. In 1970, one of the first publications about the artist A. Zybin “Gorodetsky fantasies” appeared in the magazine “Moscow”.
Received higher art education.
Secondary special - graduated from the Gorky Art College
Higher - Moscow State Art Institute named after Surikov. His teacher was the famous painter Sergei Gerasimov, who noted Rastorguev's talent, his special painting gift, at the stage of entrance exams.
Care for war
After graduating from college In 1941, he went to the front, was a cartographer, worked as an editorial staff in a front-line newspaper, then participated in the creation of the first memorial museum of the Second World War “Svir Victory”. After the Victory, he continued his studies - first in Leningrad, in Repinsky, then in Moscow, in Surikovsky.
Since 1943 he fought on the Karelian front. Participated in the Petsamo-Kirkenes operation to liberate Northern Norway. Awarded the rank of lieutenant. He published several front-line drawings in the Combat Arms newspaper of the 32nd Army, “Combat Path”. Transferred to the state of this newspaper. In 1944, by order of Marshal K.A. Meretskov, he was sent to erect the Svirskaya Pobeda complex. Among the creators of the memorial were - Y. Titov (chief artist), architects B. Vorontsov. A. Kalaida, sculptor L. Bobrovnikov, artists B. Ugarov, Yu. Korovin, L. Baykov, M. Epifanov, M. Kopeikin, M. Natarevich, A. Semenyuk, P. Sleta. In 1945 he was awarded the Order of the Patriotic War of the 2nd degree, medals "For Military Merit", "For the Victory over Germany in the Great Patriotic War of 1941-1945." and etc.
After the war
After demobilization With the support of M. Natarevich Rastorguev was immediately enrolled in the second year and entered the Institute. I.E. Repina. But decides to return to Moscow, where he enters the State Art Institute. IN AND. Surikov at the faculty of painting. Studying in the workshop of Sergei Vasilyevich Gerasimov. Among his classmates - V. Gavrilov, S. Tkachev, I. Sorokin, B. Shustov, R. Stolyarov and others. Communicates with older masters such as V. Efanov, Yu. Pimenov, F. Bogorodsky, A. Tyshler, N .Shifrin, G. Shegal, N. Chernyshev. Relations with some of them become friends.
Paintings and Exhibitions
The artist's works were exhibited at exhibitions of the works of “Group 16” (1969, 1975, 1985), at the exhibition of decorative and applied art in the Salon of Nadi Leger in Paris (1975), at the exhibition of sculpture of small forms in New Delhi (India) in 1979, at exhibition of works by Soviet artists in Birmingham, United Kingdom (1988), in Warsaw (Poland) and Toronto (Canada) in 1989, at exhibitions in Pennsylvania (USA), Honfleur (France) in 1991, at the exhibition "Five Russian Artists in Rome" in Gallery "San Lorenzo" (Italy) in 1993, at a group exhibition in the gallery "On Solyanka" in Moscow (1994), for the group a marketing exhibition of Moscow artists in Yaroslavl - gallery "Forum-Are" (1996) and many others.
Solo exhibitions of Yevgeny Rastorguev were held in West Berlin (1975), in the Exhibition Hall on Liteiny Avenue in Leningrad (1984), in Vyborg in the Castle (1985), in the Art Museum in Cheboksary (1987), in Podolsk (1988), in the Art Museum Nizhny Novgorod (1990), in Rome and in the Elena Kornetchuk Gallery in Pittsburgh (USA) in 1991, in the Central House of Artists in Moscow in 1995, in the Moscow Ark Gallery in 1997, in the New Zealand Embassy in Moscow (2004), in the State Tretyakov Gallery gallery (2005), at the Embassy of Finland in Moscow (2007), in the Exhibition Hall of Gorodets (2008), in Central m exhibition hall of Nizhny Novgorod.
The works of Evgeny Anatolyevich Rastorguev are in the collections of the State Tretyakov Gallery, the State Museum of Ceramics "Kuskovo", the State Museum of Decorative and Applied Art (Tsaritsyno), the Museum of Modern Art (Moscow); State Russian Museum, Museum of the Defense of Leningrad (St. Petersburg), Regional Art Gallery of Vologda, art museums of Vologda, Orel, Nizhny Novgorod, Kherson, Tomsk, Yekaterinburg, Cheboksary, Izhevsk, Kemerovo, Chelyabinsk, Ferapontovo, Novokuznetsk, Petrozavodsk, Tyumen, also abroad: at the Vatican Museum (Rome, Italy), at the Toulouse Art Museum (France), at the Cremona Foundation Museum (Mechanicchille, USA), at the P. Ludwig Gallery (Cologne, Germany); in private collections in Bulgaria, Great Britain, Hungary, Germany, Holland, Italy, Poland, Russia (Moscow, Petersburg), USA, Finland, France, Czech Republic, New Zealand.